Tue. Jun 22nd, 2021

Short Story / Poem OTW Sept 5-9

This week’s short story/poem of the week comes from a collection of poems written by Rupi Kaur, Milk and Honey. Kaur is a Canadian feminist and writer. She started her career doing open mic stand up poetry at Punjab Community Health Centre in Malton. While Kaur is a phenomenal poet, she also dabbles in the art of drawing and photography. So far, Kaur has only published one book, Milk and Honey. This collection was first self published in 2014, and quickly hit the best sellers list in North America. On October 6th, 2015, Andrews McMeel Publishing published Milk and Honey under their name, and the book’s publicity increased.
Milk and Honey has many poems, but they all fit under four themes; Violence, love, abuse, and loss. This collection showcases the good and bad outcomes of these four themes. It shows the youth the truth behind many of the questions they have, but are too afraid to ask.
One of my favorite poems from Kaur’s collection is about the modern concept of beauty, and what she finds beautiful.
“my issue with what they consider beautiful
is their concept of beauty
centers around excluding people
I find hair beautiful
when a woman wears it
like a garden on her skin
that is the definition of beauty
big hooked noses
pointing to the sky
like they’re rising
to the occasion
skin the color of earth
my ancestors planted crops on
to feed a lineage of women with
thighs as thick as tree trunks
eyes like almonds
deeply hooded with conviction
the rivers of punjab
flow through my bloodstream so
don’t tell me my women
aren’t as beautiful
as the ones in
your country”

Milk and Honey can be purchased at many stores, including Barnes and Noble, Target, Ebay, and Walmart. The physical book usually runs for around $7.68 to $15.00. However, if you purchase the audio book, it runs for around $4.00. I found the cheapest price for a physical copy at Target, running for only $7.68. http://www.target.com/p/milk-and-honey-unabridged-cd-spoken-word-rupi-kaur/-/A-51541093?ref=tgt_adv_XS000000&AFID=google_pla_df&CPNG=PLA_Entertainment%2BShopping&adgroup=SC_Entertainment&LID=700000001170770pgs&network=g&device=c&location=9024237&gclid=Cj0KEQjw9b6-BRCq7YP34tvW_uUBEiQAkK3sveg01xhdDrbbVcxPgri4jRLb8lL6SbpsZ-CUyZB95J4aAstK8P8HAQ&gclsrc=aw.ds
26877039

&nbsp