Tue. Jun 22nd, 2021

The First Week Of Fall Has Arrived!

September 22nd was the first day of fall!

The time of year where the ghosts, ghouls, and pumpkin spice everything is here! People have been waiting very patiently for this time of year to arrive. Now that it is here, it’s time for the games to begin. They are rushing to Starbucks for their lattes and racing to Yankee Candle for their favorite apple cider scents. The wonderland of red, orange and yellow is coming our way!

Pumpkins in Fall

We asked you, the students of South High, what your favorite season of the year is and more than 50% of you agreed that Fall is the way to go.

Poll results on Twitter. Click the photo above to see it on our Twitter.

Facts about Fall

• The first day of Fall is known as the autumn equinox, there are only 2 equinoxes in the year!
  • People who live close to the equator, the center of the earth, never have the chance to witness Fall. The temperature is always warm there.
  • Leaves that are a vibrant red and purple are caused by the sugar in tree sap, the sugars are trapped inside the leaves.
  • “Pepon”, which means “large melon”, is the first name the Greeks gave to pumpkins.
  • The term “equinox” means “equal night” in Latin.

Fall is when girls bring out their favorite hoodies and their Uggs. You can make your own DIYs and all of your favorite Fall time goodies. I have already looked up how to make a replica of Starbucks pumpkin spice latte!

Click on the photo below to make a copycat Starbucks Latte!

Pumpkin Spice Latte

Fall Events

15th Annual Tallgrass Film Festival:  October 18-22

This festival features new short films from around the world.

2017 Pumpkins at the Park: October 21-22 and October 28-30

Young adults will love the Cage Maze of Doom and the Zombie Task Force Tactical Laser Tag Experience. This event is aimed towards kids and young adults.

BOOtanica at Botanica Gardens: October 7th

Family-friendly events that has stations around the gardens that include games, art projects, live animals and so much more!

Night of the Living Zoo at Sedgwick County Zoo: October 27-29

Guests can have spooky fun in a variety of Halloween activities throughout the zoo.

My boyfriend and I both love Fall! It brings out his love of warmth and cinnamon and brings out my love for DIYs and colors. The masterpieces you can create with leaves are endless. You can glue the beautiful red, yellow and orange leaves to a foam ring and tada!!! You have your very own Fall wreath! You can add a splash of cinnamon to your morning coffee and you’ll wish you would have thought of it sooner!

Get out there, jump in a pile of leaves, go on a walk and look at the beautiful scenery around you! Remember Fall only comes once a year! You don’t want to miss the time of hay rides and pumpkins. Show off your pumpkin carving skills and share them with the Torch Staff on Twitter @WHSSjournalism!