• November 16Musical in the auditorium at 7PM!

• November 10Veterans day

• November 9Turkey Ball

• November 7Election Day!

• November 1Market Day

Drugs associated to Date Rape

Here are many different date rape drugs and ways to avoid them.

Quanna Cronin, Author, Reporter

There are is a large amount of drug use going around, but something to be aware of is date-rape drugs. There was a drug test given to 144 women who have reported being a victim of sexual assault and 62% of the women had drugs in their system. About 5% of the women tested positive of substances that are specifically considered date-rape drugs. Those who have been drugged are usually seen more to be women than men. Below are some of the drugs associated to date-rape that many should be aware of. Especially the dangers of these drugs.

Type of drugs used for date rape and the dangers

• Ecstasy

Methylenedioxymethamphetamine (MDMA), commonly known as ecstasy. The desired effects include increased empathy, euphoria, and heightened sensations. Adverse effects of MDMA use include addiction, memory problems, paranoia, difficulty sleeping, teeth grinding, blurred vision, sweating, and a rapid heartbeat. Use may also lead to depression and fatigue. Deaths have been reported due to increased body temperature and dehydration.

• Rohypnol (Roofies)

Flunitrazepam, also known as Rohypnol. In countries where the drug is still used, it is used for treatment of insomnia, and in some countries, the beginning of anesthesia as well; these were also the indications in which it was originally studied. Adverse effects of flunitrazepam include dependence, both physical and psychological; reduced sleep quality; and overdose, resulting in impairment of balance and speech, respiratory depression or coma, and possibly death. Because of the latter, flunitrazepam is commonly used in suicide. If someone finds out that they are pregnant and use this drug than it might cause hypotonia.

• Gamma Hydroxybutyrate (GHB)

A naturally occurring neurotransmitter and a psychoactive drug. GHB has been used in a medical setting as a general anesthetic and as a treatment for cataplexy, narcolepsy, and alcoholism. If the dosage of GHB is too high it can cause loss of consciousness. 

• ketamine

This is a medication mainly used for starting and maintaining anesthesia. It induces a trance-like state while providing pain relief, sedation, and memory loss. Other uses include for chronic pain and for sedation in intensive care. Heart function, breathing, and airway reflexes generally remain functional during its effects. Effects typically begin within 5 minutes, after being given by injection, with the main effects lasting up to 25 minutes. Common side effects include psychological reactions as the medication wears off. These reactions may include agitation, confusion, or hallucinations. Elevated blood pressure and muscle tremors are relatively common, while low blood pressure and a decrease in breathing are less common.

• Chloral Hydrate

Chloral hydrate is used for the short-term treatment of insomnia and as a sedative before minor medical or dental treatment. It was formally used in veterinary medicine as an anesthesia. Acute overdosage is often characterized by nausea, vomiting, confusion, convulsions, slow and irregular breathing, cardiac arrhythmia, and a coma.

• Fentanyl

Fentanyl is illegally made and used as a recreational drug often disguised as other medications or mixed with heroin, leading to thousands of overdose deaths from 2000 to 2017. Common side effects can be:

• Black, tarry stools
  • Blurred vision
  • Chest pain
  • Cough
  • Fever or chills
  • Increased thirst
  • Irregular heartbeat
  • Loss of appetite
  • Painful or difficult urination
  • Sneezing
  • Troubled breathing with exertion
  • Ulcers, sores, or white spots in the mouth

and Less common side effects can be:

• Abdominal or stomach pain
  • Clumsiness or unsteadiness
  • Decreased awareness or responsiveness
  • Muscle twitching or jerking
  • Pounding in the ears
  • Seizures
  • Severe sleepiness

• Oxycodone

This drug is generally indicated for relief of moderate to severe pain. Serious side effects of oxycodone include reduced sensitivity to pain (beyond the pain the drug is taken to reduce), euphoria, anxiolysis, feelings of relaxation, and respiratory depression.

This picture represents just how easy it is to “spike” another persons drink without them being aware. No one should leave their drinks unattended and if possible should be watched how it is made.

How One Can Protect Themselves

• Drink from tamper-proof bottles and cans and insist on opening them.
  • Insist on pouring or watching while any drink is mixed or prepared.
  • Do not drink from group drinks such as punch bowls.
  • Keep an eye on your drink or open soda can. Do not trust someone to watch it for you.
  • If you think you’ve been drugged, do not be afraid to seek medical attention.
  • If someone passes out and you suspect he or she may have been given drugs, call for medical attention immediately and explain your concerns.
  • Many times it is a smart choice to choose menu items you are familiar with when going out and keep it close.