• April 28KSHSAA state solo music festival

• April 21Fire camp

• April 21Jazz in the round

• April 18State music large group

• April 16NO SCHOOL

Save the Bees

Mikayla Lopez, reporter

Bees have seen a substantial decline over the last decade. In 2016, bees have been dying at an alarming rate and have lost 44% of honey bee colonies. The farmers need bees to pollinate crops and bees should gain the protection of the Endangered Species Act.

Rusty Patch Bumblebee

The rusty patched bumblebee was listed as an endangered species on February 10th. Our bees cannot have a major stop, nor can any of the other wildlife, natural ecosystems, and communities that depend on the Endangered Species and other Environmental Protection programs for survival.Bees are an integral part of our lives and without them, life would take a very different turn. There is well around 25,000 bee species in the world. The bees provide important natural products and services. The bees pollinate flowers and therefore play an important part in food production. Most plants are totally dependent on certain types of bees for reproduction. It is also for this reason that commercial pollination has begun to take shape in the larger agricultural industry. Of all the bee species, the honeybee is the most economically valuable as it is able to focus on particular plants at a time. It does not pollinate randomly because it targets particular plant species in every outing. A single honeybee can pollinate thousands of flowers daily.

Food Value

Among other roles, the honey bee is the sole producer of honey. Honey is a valuable economic commodity and is used for medicinal purposes. For thousands of years, honey has been used by man for food. It is estimated that about 100g of honey provides equivalent nutrition to 6 liters of milk or 170g of beef. It contains sugars, vitamins, and minerals that are easily absorbed by the body. Medically, honey can be used as a sedative, laxative or antiseptic. It is commonly used in Ayurvedic pharmaceuticals.

honey bee food

Food using honey

Sadly, bee populations are dropping dramatically due to intensive and extensive pesticide use in the now lucrative commercial agriculture. Also, increased conversion of natural environments into agricultural lands has led to diminishing wild bee species. According to the US Department of agriculture, there is a consistent drop in beehives every year (a 32% decline in 2007; a 36% decline in 2008; and a 29% decline in 2009). A decline in bee population only means a decline in crop productivity. In most areas, growers have begun to adopt commercial pollination in order to improve agricultural productivity. In some parts of China, farmers have resorted to manual pollination of flowers due to lack of bees. If bees are not saved, then the planet is S.O.L!

Life Without Bees?

economic importance of apicultureBees are an important part of our lives and without them, life would take a very dramatic turn. There are almost 25,000 bee species in the world. The bees provide important natural products and services. The bees pollinate flowers and therefore play an important part in food production. Most plants are totally dependent on certain types of bees for reproduction. It is also for this reason that commercial pollination has begun to take shape in the larger agricultural industry. Of all the bee species, the honeybee is the most economically valuable as it is able to focus on particular plants at a time. It does not pollinate randomly because it targets particular plant species in every outing. A single honeybee can pollinate thousands of flowers daily.