Can You Paint With All the Colors of… Appropriation?

December 5, 2017

Donald Trump and Navajo veterans standing before a picture of Andrew Jackson

As we are close to ending the decade, we are currently facing an epidemic in the United States… of bigotry and stupidity. Current POTUS Donald J. Trump is the complete opposite of an ideal and admired president. With negative approval ratings, along with several controversies under his belt, he is the least popular president in the last four decades. With many disapproved actions as the president, such as dissolving DACA, attempted repeals of the ACA and trans-policies created during the Obama-era, and current support of Senator Roy Moore, who currently has nine sexual assault allegations against him, it seems as if Trump has undone all advancements made in society during Obama’s presidency. As if he could not possibly paint himself as a racist, he referred to Senator Elizabeth Warren as “Pocahontas”. To top this occasion, the area of the White House that this event took place in has a giant Andrew Jackson portrait, who was most famously known for his Indian Removal Act.

Senator Elizabeth Warren

This debacle started when Navajo Native Americans were invited to the White House to honor their services during WWII. When delivering a speech for the veterans, Donald Trump said: “You were here long before any of us were here. Although we have a representative in Congress who they say was here a long time ago. They call her Pocahontas.” However, he’s been using Pocahontas as a slur towards Warren since his 2016 campaign. Many have criticized the action, remarking that it was terrible to use a historical figure as a racial slur towards an opponent. Others say the statement overshadowed the purpose of the ceremony honoring the veterans.

However, some have defended Trump’s actions at the ceremony. White House Press Secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders stated that “What most people find offensive is Senator Warren lying about her heritage to advance her career.” Eric Trump used Disney’s movie of the same name as a scapegoat, saying that used the historical figure to profit almost half a billion dollars. The difference? The movie is actually about Pocahontas, however, sugar-coated the events in the movie may be.

Whether you feel that Trump’s remark was perfectly fine to make or find it completely disrespectful, this event has shown the true colors of Donald Trump. He used racially charged words to attack a member of the Senate. Since then, he has “retracted” his words, saying that it was an insult to Pocahontas. Trump insisted, “You know the funny thing about Elizabeth Warren, she’s been a lousy senator. She’s done a terrible job.” Deciding not that he regrets using the racial slur, but that he regrets comparing the historical figure to Warren.

Link to Eric Trump’s tweet