• October 1JV Football at South @ 5:45 PM

• October 1Freshman Football at South @ 4:15 PM

• September 29Girls Tennis GWAL at TBA

• September 28Varsity Football at Hays @ 7 PM

• September 27Boy's Varsity Soccer at South @ 7 PM

Christmas Traditions Around the World

Adriana Hyde & Makayla Honeycutt, Reporter

All over the world, different countries celebrate a very known holiday: Christmas. Here are some ways these countries celebrate this holiday:

USA– Many people in America may know the man by Santa Claus, who lives in the North Pole with his fellow elfs, determining who has been naughty or nice. Traditions before Christmas include: decorating their houses with bright lights and decorations that light up the streets. In America we also set up a Christmas tree which is also decorated for Santa to put the presents under.  The night on Christmas Eve, children leave Santa cookies and milk and sometimes even carrots for the reindeer. On the morning of Christmas, children wake up very early to see the presents the Old Jolly man has left them. Throughout the day, Christmas feasts, spending time with family, and even carroling are important traditions of Christmas.

Christmas tree with presents and a fireplace with stockings

A Christmas tree installed with lanterns, measuring over 10 meters high, is illuminated beside sculptures of ancient people in the background of the Big Wild Goose Pagoda on December 24, 2010 in Xian of Shaanxi Province, China.

China-In China, only a few know about the tradition of Christmas due to religious matters. The other majority celebrate this holiday with Christmas trees, lights, and other decorations out on the street. ‘Shen Dan Lao Ren’, which means Old Christmas Man, is China’s “Santa”. Christmas trees are usually plastic and are often decorated with paper chains, paper flowers, and paper lanterns. A crazy fact is that the plastic trees are made there, but the people making them do not really know what they are used for.  A tradition on Christmas eve includes giving apples, which is a symbol of peaceful or quiet evening.

Russia- In the days of the Soviet Unions, Christmas was banned in Russia due to religion. In fact, only New Years was celebrated with “Grandfather Frost”, which brings presents to the children. After the Soviet Unions, Christmas was then celebrated on January 7th, while children held hands and made a circle around the tree and called for him. Some people do not even eat until the first star has appeared in the sky. Prayers are then placed and they are off to the midnight church services.

REUTERS
People walk along Red Square with Saint Basils Cathedral in the background, in central Moscow December 2, 2010.

Mexico- In Mexico, Christmas is celebrated from December 12th to January 6th. From December 16th to Christmas Eve, Children perform the “Posada” which celebrate the Christmas story where Joseph and Mary looked for somewhere to stay. In each Posada, children are given candles and a board with painted clay figures. Each night a different house holds the Posada party. When the Posada house is found, a baby Jesus is placed into a manger and then they attend a midnight Church Service.

Christmas Decorations in Mexico