Tue. Apr 7th, 2020

Volunteer opportunities in Wichita

Hey Titans! Need community service ideas? Keep on reading to find some amazing opportunity options!

Botanica

Botanica

When you volunteer at Botanica, you are able to choose the activities that best suit your interests, talents, and abilities. Volunteering at Botanica allows you to discover while helping others discover, the beauty and the wonder of nature.

Volunteers are invited to help maintain the gardens by performing tasks like weeding and watering from April to October. In November, volunteers can help set up Botanica’s annual Christmas light display, Illuminations.

Kansas Humane Society

Wichita’s largest privately-funded, non-profit animal shelter organization, the Kansas Humane Society, can always use a helping hand.

The Humane Society offers a variety of volunteer opportunities, so there’s a place for everyone! Some volunteer opportunities include appointment scheduler, dog walker, greeter, and even cat socializer! How cool is that? And these are just a few of the options that Kansas Humane Society has available! the If you love animals and you love helping out, the humane society is a great place to volunteer! Volunteers must fill out an application, attend training, orientation and an interview prior to volunteering.

Sedgwick County Zoo

Sedgwick County Zoo

The Sedgwick County Zoo offers flexible volunteer hours seven days a week. With positions available in several departments, participants can choose which programs are best suited to their skills and interests.

A volunteer information packet is available upon request via email from the Volunteer Director. Those who wish to volunteer should submit an email including the desired area of work, name, address, city, state and zip code, as the packet will be sent by mail. Volunteer opportunities are available for those under the age of 18, including volunteering for special events.

The Lord’s Diner

Run by the Catholic Diocese of Wichita, the Lord’s Diner offers nutritious meals to those who need them, serving 2,500 meals per night from two Wichita locations. The Lord’s Diner also has two food trucks. Open seven days a week for 365 days year, the Lord’s Diner only accepts volunteers with a food handler’s license, but free classes are available through the Wichita Health Department on the first and third Monday and Saturday of each month. Classes are also available through current Lord’s Diner volunteer groups, such as All Saints Catholic Church, Countryside Christian Church, Cross Road Church, Pleasantview Baptist Church, and Riverwalk Church of Christ. If you have a food handlers license, volunteer hours can be set up over the phone.

Via Christi 

Via Christi offers many rewarding volunteer opportunities for adults, college students, and teens at our Wichita hospitals. Via Christi invites you and your family members or friends to join the long tradition of service-minded men and women helping care for and support the patients and guests.

Volunteer opportunities include:

• Greeting and escorting visitors
  • Delivering flowers and mail
  • Assisting with office duties
  • Providing comfort and assistance to families in waiting rooms
  • Designing floral arrangements in our Via Christi Gift Shops
  • Serving patients on the units and during dismissals

As a volunteer, you’ll form new friendships and gain satisfaction in knowing you are touching the lives of others in a meaningful way.