• April 28KSHSAA state solo music festival

• April 21Fire camp

• April 21Jazz in the round

• April 18State music large group

• April 16NO SCHOOL

The Truth Behind McDonalds Food

Jordan Moss, Reporter

The legend of the pink slime has been around for decades. But is it true? Some people say the McNuggets are made out of 100% pure chicken, while others say they are made out of “leftovers” of animals. How do we know which one is true?

A story on Huffingtonpost.com says “Reddit user “Dfunkatron,” who claimed to be a former McDonalds employee told a horrifying story about his workplace: ‘I accidentally left a whole bag of about 100 chicken nuggets out on a counter for way too long. They melter. Into a pool of liquid. I never understood why. But they were completely indiscernible as being the nuggets I once knew.'”

Another story on foodmatters.com says there are 72 ingredients in a Big Mac. The traditional loaf of bread contains just 4 simple ingredients: flour, water, salt, and yeast. But McDonald’s buns alone contain many ingredients:

Enriched Flour (Bleached Wheat Flour, Malted Barley Flour, Niacin, Reduced Iron, Thiamin Mononitrate, Riboflavin, Folic Acid), Water, High Fructose Corn Syrup and/or Sugar, Yeast, Soybean Oil and/or Canola Oil, Contains 2% or Less: Salt, Wheat Gluten, Calcium Sulfate, Calcium Carbonate, Ammonium Sulfate, Ammonium Chloride, Dough Conditioners (May Contain One or More of: Sodium Stearoyl Lactylate, DATEM, Ascorbic Acid, Azodicarbonamide, Mono and Diglycerides, Ethoxylated Monoglycerides, Monocalcium Phosphate, Enzymes, Guar Gum, Calcium Peroxide), Sorbic Acid, Calcium Propionate and/or Sodium Propionate (Preservatives), Soy Lecithin, Sesame Seed.

Another post on livestrong.com says that McDonald’s adds sugar to their fries to increase addiction and cravings.

The worst stories out there about McDonald’s food is the pink slime. Here is a video of what some people discovered about the food process of this fast food restaurant.

While there are many horrifying stories about what McDonald’s food is made of, there are also many stories that say people have observed the process of making the McDonalds food and that there are no ridiculous ingredients and the food is made of actual meat, real potatoes, and other edible ingredients.

On wikipedia.com, the first 4 ingredients in a chicken McNugget are white boneless chicken, water, salt, and seasoning. That sounds like a normal chicken nugget.

urbo.com said “In 2012, a viral image suggested that McDonald’s mixes its McNuggets down into a “pink slime.” That’s not true; since 2003, the chain has used white-meat chicken, and the most popular image showing “pink slime” probably shows beef rather than chicken.”

This dispute has been going on for many years. But what is true?