Is GPA enough for class rank?

Makayla Honeycutt, reporter

Is life fair? No. Is school fair? No, but students who take AP classes and honors classes and who pushed their selves all four years of high school shouldn’t be judged the same as students who take the easier way out.

valedictorian medal

Let’s say student A is a Junior and they are taking all easy classes such as Algebra 2, English 3, chemistry, U.S. History, and all intro elective classes. Student B is also a Junior taking the more challenging classes such as Precalculus\ Trigonometry, AP comp., Anatomy and Physiology, AP U.S. history, and electives that take more than one year or another math or science class. It could be so easy to get valedictorian, you need straight A’s all throughout high school. So you could be student A and easily be valedictorian even though we usually see students like student B get it. This also falls under our class rank, it shouldn’t be based on just our grades. The classes we take should be looked at closely and ranked differently. There are high schools that have the weighted grading system such as Goddard, Maize, and 2 Catholic high schools. This implies that students could get a GPA higher than 4.0 such as a 4.5 or 5.0. Having a weighted grading system could also encourage more students to take more rigorous courses. A while back Kapaun Mount Carmel had a valedictorian with a 4.47 GPA because they have weighted grade system. Having a weighted grading system is a huge advantage to students, you could get more scholarships.

test

The way our tests and assignments are weighted in each class is also unfair. There are people that understand everything and do good on assignments but when it comes to taking a test they don’t do very good. There are people that have test anxiety and that could ruin their grade because tests are 70% of our grade. Some students study for their tests and get 100% on the homework still get a low grade on a test. This goes back up the first paragraph because that one bad test grade could lower your overall grade and ruin the chance of valedictorian.