Avenged Sevenfold

Back to Article
Back to Article

Avenged Sevenfold

Leia Martinez, Reporter

Couple weeks ago on Tuesday, February 6th, 2018 a very well known heavy metal/rock band came into town along with two other bands, Bullet for my Valentine, Breaking Benjamin and Avenged Sevenfold. The two opening acts Bullet for my Valentine and Breaking Benjamin played absolutely wonderful 10/10. Avenged Sevenfold put on an amazing show literally out of the 11 concerts I’ve been to this one has to be #1 in my top 3. With the way how they started out the show with their new song in the new album “The Stage” was spot on. Also, the way how they carried on the show with some old songs and some new songs mixed in was incredible!

About Avenged Sevenfold (A7X)

Avenged Sevenfold is a heavy metal band that started in Huntington Beach, California in 1999. The band’s current lineup consists of lead vocalist M. Shadows, rhythm guitarist and backing vocalist Zacky Vengeance, lead guitarist and backing vocalist Synyster Gates, bassist and backing vocalist Johnny Christ, and drummer Brooks Wackerman. Avenged Sevenfold is well known for its diverse rock sound and the dramatic imagery in their albums and merchandise. Avenged Sevenfold’s style soon changed by their third album and their first major label release, “City of Evil” into a heavy metal/hard rock style. A7X still continued to explore new and different sounds with its self-titled release and very well enjoyed continued the mainstream before their former drummer James “The Rev” Sullivan, died in 2009. Despite his death, A7X continued with help of a now-former drummer Mike Portnoy, and released and toured in support of its fifth album Nightmare in 2010, which debuted on the top spot of the Billboard 200, Avenged Sevenfold’s first number one debut. Fast forwarding into 2016 Avenged Sevenfold surprise released their 7th album called The Stage on October 28th, 2016, which was #4 Billboard 200 chart in the US. Avenged Sevenfold has sold over 8 million copies of their albums worldwide. Avenged Sevenfold was ranked No. 47 on Loudwire’s list of Top 50 Metal Bands of All Time.

“The Rev”

James Owen Sullivan was born in Huntington Beach, California February 9th, 1981. In high school, he started playing in bands. Before leaving to join Avenged Sevenfold as one of the band’s founding members, Sullivan was the drummer for the third wave ska band Suburban Legends. He is known by his stage name The Rev. The Rev was a very well known drummer songwriter, co-lead vocalist for Avenged Sevenfold. He was regarded and critically acclaimed or his work on Avenged Sevenfold albums. He also contributed in some of the songs and also some of the songs were composed by himself such as “Strength of the World,” “Afterlife,” “A Little Piece of Heaven,” “Almost Easy,” “Scream,” “Critical Acclaim,” “Lost,” “Brompton Cocktail,” “Crossroads,” “Flash of the Blade (Iron Maiden cover),” “Fiction,” “Unbound (The Wild Ride),” “Buried Alive,” “Brompton Cocktail,” and many more. December, 28th 2009 they found him unresponsive in his home in Huntington Beach and was later pronounced dead upon arrival to the hospital. On December 30th, 2009 an autopsy was performed and was inconclusive, but toxicology results revealed to the public in June that his cause of death was an overdose of oxycodone, oxymorphone, diazepam, nordiazepam, and alcohol. Shortly after his death Avenged Sevenfold dedicated their fifth album (released that same year) to The Rev, including songs “So Far Away”, which had been written by bandmate Synyster Gates; and “Fiction”, which The Rev had written three days before his death. Matthew Shadows and Synyster Gates had stated in an interview with Hard Drive Radio.“The eeriest thing about it is there is a song on the album called “Fiction” (a nickname The Rev gave himself) which started out with the title “Death.” And it was the last song The Rev wrote for the album, and when he handed it in, he said, ‘That’s it, that’s the last song for this record.’ And then, three days later, he died.”

More pictures from the concert

https://www.instagram.com/p/Be46qbMg47s/

Left: Synyster Gates. Right: Zacky Vengeance.

Drummer Brooks Wackerman.

Lead Singer Matthew Shadows.

The Stage deluxe edition and a summer tour

On December 22, 2017, the band released a deluxe edition of The Stage that included one new original track, six cover songs, and four live tracks from their European tour earlier that year. In an interview, Matthew Shadows revealed that they are planning a big  US summer 2018 tour. The band was also announced as one of the headliners of 2018’s Rock on the Range and Download Festival, in addition of appearing at Hellfest, Graspop Metal Meeting, Rock AM, Ring and Rock, all in Park the same year. Also, another thing to mention at the 60th annual Grammy awards Avenged Sevenfold was nominated in the “best rock song” category for “The Stage”.