Sun. Jun 13th, 2021

Top 5 St. Patricks day desserts

Shamrock Pretzels

Shamrock Pretzels are a fast and easy St. Patrick’s Day candy recipe. This one is perfect for kids to help with! All you need are pretzels, green candy coating, and the patience to arrange them into shamrock shapes. We think these make a cute candy on their own, but they also make fun toppers for St. Patrick’s Day cakes or cupcakes!

What You’ll Need                

• 12 ounces green candy coating
  • 90 mini twist pretzels (3 to 4 cups)
  1. Place the green candy coating in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave in 30-second increments, stirring well after every 30 seconds, until the coating is melted and smooth. Cover several baking sheets with waxed paper or parchment paper.Dunk a pretzel in the melted coating until it’s completely covered. Take it out of the coating using a fork or dipping tools, and let the excess drip back into the bowl for a few minutes.
  1. Place the pretzel on the baking sheet. Repeat with a second pretzel, and when you place it on the baking sheet, position it so that the bottom of the second pretzel is touching the bottom of the first. Repeat a third time, and this time, place the pretzel at the top of the other two so that they form a shamrock shape.
  2. Break a pretzel twist in pieces, so that you have a few short segments that can be the stems. Dip one stem piece in the coating, then position it at the bottom of the shamrock. Dip a small spoon in the coating, and use it to add a dollop of coating in the center of the shamrock, just so that it has a smooth, even surface.
  3. Repeat with the remaining pretzels and coating, until you’ve made 24 shamrock shapes. Refrigerate the trays to set the shamrocks, for about 15 minutes.
  4. Use set, use a paring knife to trim away any stray coating from the edges of the shamrocks. Serve immediately, or store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2 weeks. These also make really cute edible cupcake toppers!
  • 12 ounces green candy coating

90 mini twist pretzels (3 to 4 cups)

Green velvet cupcakes

Don’t you wish there really was a pot of gold at the end of each rainbow? Well, these rich and fluffy Green Velvet St. Patrick’s Day Cupcakes with the best cream cheese frosting and a chocolate gold coin on top come close enough!

What you’ll need

For the Cupcakes:                                                     

• 2 cups + 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
  • 4 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
  • 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 3/4 cup butter room temperature
  • 1 1/2 cups sugar
  • 3 eggs room temperature
  • 1 1/4 cup sour cream
  • 1 tablespoon vanilla
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons green liquid food coloring

For the Frosting:

• 12 ounces cream cheese
  • 6 tablespoons butter
  • 4 cups powdered sugar
  • 2-3 tablespoons heavy whipping cream or milk
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
  • Sprinkles
  • Chocolate gold coins

Instructions

For the Cupcakes:

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and line 24 muffin tins with paper liners. In a mixing bowl, combine flour, cornstarch, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
  2. In the bowl of a standing electric mixer, beat butter and sugar until light and creamy. Add in the eggs one at a time, beating to incorporate each. Mix in the sour cream, vanilla, and food coloring. Mix in the flour until just combined, scraping the sides of the bowl as needed.
  3. Spoon batter into cupcake liners and bake for 15-18 minutes or until toothpick comes out with only a few crumbs or clean. Cool completely before adding frosting.

For the Frosting:

1. Cream the butter and cream cheese together until smooth. Mix in the sugar and then the cream and vanilla. Place frosting in a piping bag fitted with a star tip (1M) and pipe onto cupcakes. Add sprinkles and top with a chocolate coin.

Lucky charm cookies

These white chocolate chip cookies have an St. Patrick’s Day twist: marshmallow cereal bits!

What you’ll need

• 2 c. Lucky Charms (just cereal, no marshmallows)
  • 1½ c. all-purpose flour
  • 1 tsp. baking soda
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 2 stick butter
  • 1 c. granulated sugar
  • ¾ c. packed light brown sugar
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1 c. Lucky Charms marshmallow bits
  • ½ c. white chocolate chips

Directions

1. Line a large jelly-roll pan with parchment paper.
  2. In a food processor, pulse Lucky Charms 1 minute or until finely ground; transfer cereal to a large bowl. Add flour, baking soda, and salt and whisk until combined.
  3. In a large bowl, with a mixer on medium speed, beat butter, granulated sugar, and brown sugar for 4 minutes, or until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs, 1 at a time, until combined. Reduce mixer speed to medium-low. Add flour mixture all at once and beat until it is just combined. Fold in marshmallow bits and chocolate chips using a spatula or wooden spoon. Cover and refrigerate dough 30 minutes.

Rainbow Doughnuts

Ingredients:

• 1 cup flour
  • 3 tbsp sugar
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 6 tbsp milk
  • 1 egg
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla
  • 3 tbsp vegetable/canola oil
  • 4 rectangles of vanilla candiquik
  • 1 tbsp vegetable shortening
  • Fruity pebbles, sorted by color (you don’t need to sort the entire box)
  • Shredded coconut, small amount
  • Paintbrush, new – never used before

Directions

DONUTS

1. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. Spray a donut pan with cooking spray, use a paper towel to lightly spread/remove excess spray.
  2. In a large bowl combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.
  3. In another bowl combine the milk, egg, vanilla, and oil until well blended. Stir the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients, mix just until combined.
  4. Transfer the batter to a large piping bag or use a Ziploc bag with one corner cut off. Pipe the batter into the donut pan, filling each donut hole about 2/3 full.
  5. Bake the donuts for 10 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Remove from the oven and let the donuts sit in the pan for 10 minutes before moving them to a wire rack to cool.
  6. Remove the donuts from the donut pan and place them on a wire rack to cool.

FOR THE BASE ICING OF THE DONUTS

1. Melt the vanilla candiquik with the vegetable shortening in a microwave-safe bowl. I like to place the candiquik and vegetable shortening in a small saucepan over low heat and melt the chocolate that way. You could microwave the candiquik and vegetable shortening on 50% power for 2 minutes, stirring every 20-30 seconds, until melted.
  2. For dipping the donuts, it’s easiest to transfer the melted chocolate to a small shallow dish, but large enough to fit a donut in. While hanging onto the edges of the donut, dip each donut into the chocolate and pause for a few seconds while the donut is upside down to allow for excess to fall off. Allow the donuts to cool on a cooling rack completely before adding the fruity pebbles.

FRUITY PEBBLES

1. Keep the chocolate warm during this process. The melted chocolate will act as ‘glue’ to hold the fruity pebbles on. Beginning with the red fruity pebbles, paint on a small amount of white chocolate then stick the red pebbles on. Continue this process until all of the red pebbles are on. Repeat with the rest of the colors – orange, yellow, green, blue, and purple.
  2. Once the rainbow is finished, paint on some white chocolate underneath both ends of the rainbow and add the shredded coconut.
  3. Enjoy and store the extras in an airtight container.

Irish coffee Caramel Brownies

These Irish Coffee Caramel Brownies are a rich, fudgy milk chocolate brownie with swirls of salted caramel in the batter, a milk chocolate Bailey’s ganache, and more salted caramel drizzled on top!

Ingredients

For the brownies

• 10 tablespoons unsalted butter
    • 2 ounces milk chocolate, chopped [I used Ghirardelli because it’s awesome]
    • 1 cup granulated sugar
    • 1 tablespoon instant coffee grounds
    • 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
    • 2 large eggs
    • ½ cup cocoa powder
    • ½ cup all-purpose flour
    • ½ teaspoon kosher salt
    • 4 ounces milk chocolate, chopped

For the salted caramel

1. In a 2 to 3 quart saucepan, melt the sugar over medium-high heat. Lots of recipes call for you to stir until all the sugar is melted, but, for me, I get better, more consistent results on my induction stove if I just let it be and swirl the pan frequently.
  2. Once all the sugar has melted watch your caramel like a hawk; swirling the pan occasionally. As soon as the sugar turns amber in color add your butter and whisk vigorously. It will bubble up aggressively but just keep whisking until all the butter has melted.
  3. Remove pan from the heat and slowly pour in the cream while whisking vigorously. The caramel is going to bubble aggressively again, so be careful but stand your ground.
  4. Whisk until all the cream is incorporated and then whisk in the fleur de sel.
  5. Set the sauce aside to cool for 15 minutes prior to pouring it into a glass jar to cool completely.
  6. You can refrigerate the sauce for up to 2 weeks, but you will need to warm it before using. I gently heated mine in a saucepot with warm water or at 5-second intervals in the microwave (yes, 5-second intervals).

For the Bailey’s Milk Chocolate Ganache:

• 4.5 ounces milk chocolate
  • 2 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
  • 1 tablespoon Bailey’s Irish Cream

Instructions

1. Preheat oven to 325° and line an 8×8 baking dish with parchment.
    2. Whisk together in a medium bowl the flour, cocoa powder, and salt. Set aside.
    3. Place butter and 2 ounces chocolate in a microwave safe, large bowl. Microwave in 30-second intervals on high power, stirring after each interval until chocolate is smooth.
    4. Add sugar and instant coffee to the melted chocolate mixture, whisking to combine. Add the vanilla and egg, whisking until completely incorporated and smooth.
    5. Stir the cocoa mixture into the chocolate mixture until just combined. Fold in the remaining chocolate. Pour batter into prepared pan, smoothing out the batter to the edges with a spatula.
    6. Drop dollops of salted caramel into the batter. I did about 16 and then swirl with a bamboo skewer. Mine weren’t pretty but it doesn’t even matter because you are going to smother it in ganache!
    7. Bake 25-30 minutes or until the top is set. Do not overbake. The caramel will make it very difficult to tell when they are done. I would not suggest baking more than 35 minutes because they might overbake.
    8. While the brownies bake, make the Bailey’s Milk Chocolate Ganache
To Make the Bailey’s Milk Chocolate Ganache:
    1. Melt chocolate and heavy cream in a small microwave-safe bowl in 30-second intervals, stirring between each interval, until mixture is smooth. Stir in the Bailey’s and whisk until smooth.
    2. Try not to eat it all before the brownies are done…
Assembling the Brownies:
  1. Let brownies cool 10 minutes before pouring ganache over top of brownies. Smooth the ganache to the edges with an offset spatula.
  2. Let cool completely before cutting. This took me 2 hours in the refrigerator and the middles were still not cooled. They tasted super amazing no matter what temperature.
  3. Cut into squares and drizzle with the caramel sauce. I spooned some in a ziplock baggie, cut a corner off and then squeezed the caramel out!

All recipes are from  goodhousekeping.com