• September 4Volleyball at West @ 6:00

• September 4Football Game at North @ 4:15

• September 4Titan Classic @ 4:00

• September 4Girls Tennis at South @ 4:00

• September 1Titan Classic @ 9:00 AM

National Walk Out Day

Angelina Smith, Reporter

On March 14th students from schools all across the United States participated in a walkout protest for the shooting victims in Florida. Most schools understood and made schedules so that it wouldn’t disrupt their classes, other schools gave students lunch detentions and made their grades drop. Students should be allowed to stand up for what they believe in. That kid should not have been able to buy that gun to kill those 17.

Students all across the U.S knew this and took a stand although some were not given a choice as to if they could thousands and thousands of students took a stand and now it is all over social media and the news.
The protest has become a hashtag #nationalwalkoutday. At Wichita High School South, the walkout I heard that happened made me ashamed that I actually go to this school. There were people just leaving the school and there was also a huge group of students talking, laughing, and joking around during what was supposed to be a silent protest. On the day of the protest, there was a State Choir Festival other choirs from different schools participated and were not allowed into the school, the students that attended the walk-out were given a lunch detention and some were given a lunch suspension. They were all packed into the auditorium and were forced to stay there until lunch was almost over.

Some students who did not participate were previously threatened with suspension or expulsion, some teachers understood the protest some threatened their student’s grades and would not offer aid to students on their work if they walked out. The way that the teachers at Wichita south high school handled the walkout was a complete joke and I am ashamed to say that I go here this should not happen. Students should not be punished for protesting peacefully. Students nationwide were given detentions and suspensions all because they wanted to stand up for what was right in their minds. We should be able to protest peacefully when the time comes for change.

We should not be forced into a punishment that we don’t deserve. We should be safe in school.We shouldn’t be scared to go to school. We shouldn’t have to worry about walking into school as if it would be our last day on earth. This needs to end and it starts with all of us all across the nation standing up for what we believe in and people should understand what is going on and why it needs to end. We need to change the conversation from gun control to making schools safer so shootings cant happen.

.

.

Students Doing The Protest

Huge Crowd Protesting

Children Protesting

Notre Dame College Protest

#Enough Protest

Wichita South High Protest

Wichita South High Protest

Wichita South High Protest