• April 28KSHSAA state solo music festival

• April 21Fire camp

• April 21Jazz in the round

• April 18State music large group

• April 16NO SCHOOL

Top 5 Movies of 2018 to Watch

Diana Landeros, Copy Editor

Today I will be sharing with you some of the best movies of this year so far! These movies range from action, sci-fi, animation, and horror. If you’re looking for something new to watch, then you’re in the right place! Links to the official trailers will be included so you can get a feel for the movie. Now, onto the top 5 movies of this year so far!

1. Black Panther

With already $1.237 billion worldwide after six weeks, Black Panther is No. 12 on the all-time worldwide-gross chart. This movie is a perfect mixture of action and suspense, with just a little bit of romance. If this sounds like something you’d enjoy, then Black Panther is the movie for you.

After the death of his father, T’Challa returns home to the African nation of Wakanda to take his rightful place as king. When a powerful enemy suddenly reappears, T’Challa’s medal as king — and as Black Panther — gets tested when he’s drawn into a conflict that puts the fate of Wakanda and the entire world at risk. Faced with treachery and danger, the young king must rally his allies and release the full power of Black Panther to defeat his foes and secure the safety of his people.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjDjIWPwcPU

2. Annihilation

Annihilation happens to be a perfect film to kick off a regular feature on delicious synesthesia. It’s the second cerebral sci-fi film from writer-director Alex Garland adapted from a mind-bender of a book of the same name by Jeff VanderMeer.

At the U.S. government’s Area X facility on a southern coast, cellular biology professor, and former U.S Army soldier, Lena undergoes a quarantined debriefing about an expedition into an anomaly called “the shimmer”, from which she and her husband are the only survivors.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89OP78l9oF0

3. The Ritual

In this movie, you’re never quite sure what the nature of the threat is. Large shapes move through the trees implying some sort of hulking monster, but there are signs of humans all over the place as well. But, if you’re into horror, I’d give The Ritual a shot.

Reuniting after the tragic death of their friend, four college pals set out to hike through the Scandinavian wilderness. A wrong turn leads them into the mysterious forests of Norse legend, where an ancient evil exists and stalks them at every turn.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vfugwq2uoa0

4. Mary and the Witch’s Flower

If you’re a fan of Hiromasa Yonebayashi’s films, then you’ll surely fall in love with his latest work, Mary, and the Witch’s Flower. This film is a Japanese anime fantasy film directed by Hiromasa Yonebayashi and animated by Studio Ponoc for the Nippon Television Network.

Young Mary follows a mysterious cat into the nearby forest and discovers an old broomstick and the strange Fly-by-Night flower, a rare plant that blossoms once every seven years. Together, the flower and the broomstick whisk Mary above the clouds, and far away to Endor College — a school of magic run by headmistress Madam Mumblechook and the brilliant Doctor Dee. But there are terrible things happening at the school, and when Mary tells a lie, she must risk her life to try and set things right.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=888z3ku4t3I

5. A Wrinkle in Time

A Wrinkle in Time is a perfect example of an American science fantasy film directed by Ava DuVernay and written by Jennifer Lee and Jeff Stockwell. This film is based on the 1962 novel of the same name by Madeleine  L’Engle. This film stars some of our favorite actors like Oprah Winfrey, Chris Pine, Reese Witherspoon and many more! Click the link below to check out the official trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UhZ56rcWwRQ