• December 18Basketball 4:15 - 7:15 at South

• December 15Varsity Wrestling Tournament at 8:00 AM @ Bishop Carroll

• December 14Basketball 4:15 - 7:15 at Northwest

• December 13Band/Orchestra Concert At 7:30

• December 12Late Work Cut-Off

Underrated Bands #2: The Fratellis

Back to Article
Back to Article

Underrated Bands #2: The Fratellis

Logo of The Fratellis

Logo of The Fratellis

Logo of The Fratellis

Logo of The Fratellis

Trevor Schmitt, Reporter

The Fratellis: Mince Fratelli, Jon Fratelli, and Barry Fratelli (Pictured from left to right)

The Fratellis are an alternative/indie rock band from Glasgow, Scotland. They were formed in early 2005. The band consists of three members named Jon Fratelli (born John Lawler) as lead vocalist and guitarist, Barry “Baz” Fratelli (born Barry Wallace) as bass guitarist, and Mince Fratelli (born Gordon McRory) as the drummer and backing vocalist. The band is mostly known for their single “Chelsea Dagger,” which became the goal song for the NHL team known as the Chicago Blackhawks.

Cover art for “The Fratellis EP”

The band got their start on March 4, 2005 when they played their first show in a bar called “O’Henry’s,” located in Glasgow. Later on in that same year, they got their first radio playing then got their first signing with a record label called Fallout Records, though now the band is currently signed with Cooking Vinyl. Their first EP called “The Fratellis EP” released on April 3, 2006. The EP featured the tracks “Stacie Anne,” “The Gutterati?”, and “Creepin’ Up the Backstairs.” The band released their first single called “Henrietta” on June 12, 2006.

Cover art for “Costello Music”

The Fratellis released their first album called “Costello Music” on September 11, 2006. The album included the aforementioned “Chelsea Dagger,” “The Gutterati?”, “Creepin’ Up the Backstairs,” and “Henrietta” as well as many other great songs including (but not limited to) “Whistle for the Choir,” “Doginabag,” and “Flathead.” The Fratellis had an amazing opportunity in the summer of 2007, when they opened for The Police Reunion Tour in some of North America.

Cover art for “Here We Stand”

In November 2007, the band’s second album called “Here We Stand” was announced, with recording being wrapped up on January 13, 2008. On May 26, 2008, the first single from the album was released, called “Mistress Mabel.” On June 9, 2008, “Here We Stand” was released, featuring songs such as “My Friend John,” “Look Out Sunshine,” and “Lupe Brown.” On August 18, 2008, “Look Out Sunshine” was released as another single. “A Heady Tale” was the last single to be released from the album, being released on December 22, 2008. The band went on hiatus for three years from 2009 to 2012, with the members of the band going to their own side projects in the meantime.

Cover art for “We Need Medicine”

On June 15, 2012, the band played their first show since their hiatus where they would debut two new songs called “This Old Ghost Town” and “Rock ‘n’ Roll Will Break Your Heart.” On February 4, 2013, the band announced that they had finished recording their third album which would be called “We Need Medicine.” The band went on a UK tour in April 2013 and debuted three new songs which were “She’s Not Gone Yet But She’s Leaving,” “Seven Nights Seven Days,” and “Whisky Saga.” The aforementioned “Seven Nights Seven Days” was released as a single on September 29, 2013. The album was released on October 7, 2013.

Cover art for “Eyes Wide, Tongue Tied”

During Christmas 2013, the band wrote some new material and debuted two new songs in early 2014. The songs were called “Too Much Wine” and “All The Livelong Day” respectively (the latter would later become “Impostors (Little by Little)”). The band went on tour for “We Need Medicine” until September 2014, when they would release “The Soul Crush EP.” When they released their new EP, they also announced that they were working on their fourth album which would eventually be called “Eyes Wide, Tongue Tied.” In June 2015, the band released two singles from the new album called “Me and the Devil” and “Baby Don’t You Lie To Me!”, with both songs being offered as pre-order bonuses. On August 21, 2015, “Eyes Wide, Tongue Tied” was released. From November – December 2016, the band went on a UK tour to celebrate the 10 year anniversary of “Costello Music.”

Cover art for “In Your Own Sweet Time”

In April – May 2017, the band hinted at an upcoming album through numerous Instagram posts. On May 8, 2017, the band officially announced that they were working on their fifth album. On September 29, 2017, the band announced the official name of the album, which was “In Your Own Sweet Time,” due to be released on March 9, 2018. On November 3, 2017, the band released the first single from their upcoming album, with it being called “The Next Time We Wed.” On November 29, 2017, the band released their second single, which was called “Stand Up Tragedy.” On January 12, 2018, the band released their third single, called “I’ve Been Blind.” On February 8, 2018, the band released the final single from their album until its release, called “Starcrossed Losers.” “In Your Own Sweet Time” was then released (a week later than initially expected) on March 16, 2018.

Cover art for “Let’s Go!”

The band’s latest releases were on September 7, 2018, being a song called “Let’s Go!”, as well as acoustic versions of “Stand Up Tragedy” and “Laughing Gas.” All three aforementioned songs were previously exclusively available in the Japanese release of “In Your Own Sweet Time” before being released worldwide. The band is currently on tour throughout Europe until late December. The band is also currently writing material for a new album, hoping to be done writing early in 2019.

Trevor Schmitt, Reporter

Hi, I'm Trevor. I am currently 16 years old, a junior, and a new reporter for The Torch. I like to report on music (mainly alternative and/or indie rock)...