• December 18Basketball 4:15 - 7:15 at South

• December 15Varsity Wrestling Tournament at 8:00 AM @ Bishop Carroll

• December 14Basketball 4:15 - 7:15 at Northwest

• December 13Band/Orchestra Concert At 7:30

• December 12Late Work Cut-Off

Top 5 DIY Fall Decorations

Back to Article
Back to Article

Top 5 DIY Fall Decorations

Paola Lopez, Reporter

It is the time of the year when it starts to get chilly and when you wear a jacket in the morning you quickly regret it in the afternoon. Some may say that it is the best time of the year and it is. Many people have started to bring out the fall decorations but why go out and buy stuff when you can make it yourself. Interested in making yourself some amazing fall decor? Down below I will be listing many creative but cheap things to decorate your home for this upcoming season.

Hot-Air Balloon Squash

The star of this craft is a red Hubbard squash, which naturally resembles the shape of a hot-air ballon. Begin by using varying colors of electrical tape, overlapping as necessary to create the width you want. Then, thread string through a mini basket and attach to the pointy end of the squash with a nail or thumbtack. Fill the basket about three-fourths full with plastic packing material, as this will keep it from getting too heavy. Top with mini pumpkins. Finally, insert a hook into the stem end of the squash and tie rope around the hook to hang. Up, up, and away!

Toilet Paper Pumpkins

What you’ll need:

• 22″ x 22″ square of fall patterned cotton fabric
  • 1 roll of toilet paper
  • 1 yard Thin Rope or Paper Cord
  • 14″ by 14″ square of Batting {paper towels or a plastic grocery bag can be substituted}
  • 1 Brown Paper Grocery Bag
  • Tape {hot glue can also be used}
  •  2 silk leaves in fall colors

How to assemble: 

Lay out the fabric and batting and place toilet paper roll in the middle. If you don’t have batting, you can substitute semi-crumpled up paper towels, or even plastic grocery bags to add texture. Begin pulling up fabric and tucking it down into the center of the toilet paper roll. Now, you’ll want to take a brown paper bag and cut out a section that is 12″ long by 4.5″ wide. Roll it up and then tape it. Take the rope or paper cord and twist around the “stem”, then insert the ‘stem’ down into the middle of the toilet paper roll.Add the two silk fall leaves, and you’re done!! So simple, and so adorable… for years to come!

Halloween Candy Jar

What you’ll need:

• 6 inch terra cotta pot
  • terra cotta saucer
  • wooden knob
  • paint
  • ribbon
  • stickers, vinyl, etc. for decorating

How to assemble:

Paint outside of the terra cotta pot, saucer and knob. You can use regular craft paint or spray paint. Make sure you don’t paint the inside of the lid! Your candy will be exposed to the bottom of the lid so keep it safe by taping it off if necessary. Make sure paint is completely dry before moving on. Then, glue the glass jar to the terra cotta pot using industrial strength glue. Place a heavy book on top and let dry for at least 8 hours. Later, glue the knob to the saucer using hot glue. Fill your jar with candy and decorate with ribbon. You can add any decor to your glass jar for fun. This is your final step so enjoy!

Pumpkin Terracotta Pots

What you’ll need:

• Terracotta pot and corresponding lid
  • Acrylic paint in cream, orange and brown
  • Adhesive (such as Weldbond)
  • Wooden knobs
  • Coiled floral wire
  • Wire cutters
  • Paint brush
  • Sand paper

How to assemble:

Paint your terracotta pots and lids with a rough layer of cream paint. You don’t have to make sure there is complete coverage as you’ll be painting over the cream…this is just for layering for later on in the process! Once dry, paint your terracotta pots and lids with your orange acrylic paint. You might have to paint a few layers
(allowing them to dry in between) to get the coverage you’re looking for. While your pots are drying, paint your small wooden knobs with brown acrylic paint and let dry. Once lids, pots and knobs are dry, you’ll want to glue your wooden knob in the middle of the “bottom” of the lid. For this craft we’ll be inverting the terracotta lids to act as actual jar lids. Let that glue dry. Now comes the fun part! Just like our Distressed Mason Jar Vase, you’re going to want to “rough up” the jar with a little piece of sand paper. I think distressing painted jars always adds fun and character! And because we painted on a cream base first, you’ll see those edges and areas really highlighted. Last but not least, once the knob is firmly affixed to the top of the lid, cut a length of coiled floral wire and twist around your finger to add a little curly stem to the top of your jar. I simply wrapped the wire around the knob to hold in place.

Yarn Pumpkins

What you’ll need:

• Orange and green yarn
  • Fishing line or twine
  • Book
  • Sharp scissors

How to assemble:

Wrap your orange yarn around and around a book. Slide carefully off the book, making sure to keep the loop shape. Cut 4 pieces of 12″ orange yarn. Use the orange yarn to tie the ends and then the opposite ends of the loop as shown. Tie tightly and double knot. Using sharp scissors, cut in between each tied piece of yarn. {You’ll end up with four pumpkins.} Keep the pumpkin “tail” – the orange yarn you tied on- long. Hanging onto the tail, trim your pom pom’s into a pumpkin shape. Cut 8 pieces of 12″ green yarn. Place two pieces of yarn across the tail and double knot the tail around the green yarn. Trim orange yarn to mix in, or keep for hanging. Repeat for other three pumpkins. Gather all four pieces of green yarn that is attached to the pumpkin. Tie a loose slip knot to create a stem. Trim the stem. Once you’ve finished your pumpkins, you can display them as is- or you can continue on to make the banner! To do that, cut a piece of fishing line and thread through the stems to hang them. Doing it this way makes it 100% movable and you’ll be able to slide the pumpkins to center them.

All credit to- Country living