• October 1Freshman Football at South @ 4:15 PM

• September 29Girls Tennis GWAL at TBA

• September 28Varsity Football at Hays @ 7 PM

• September 27Boy's Varsity Soccer at South @ 7 PM

• September 27Fall Play at 5:30 PM

Underrated Bands #3: The Wombats

Logo of The Wombats

Logo of The Wombats

Trevor Schmitt, Reporter

The Wombats (left to right): Tord Øverland Knudsen, Matthew Murphy, Dan Haggis

The Wombats are an alternative band from Liverpool, England that was formed in 2003. The band consists of Matthew Murphy (as lead vocalist as well as playing the guitar and keyboard), Dan Haggis (on drums, percussion, keyboard, guitar, and backing vocals), and Tord Øverland Knudsen (on bass guitar, keyboard, and backing vocals). All three members were attending the Liverpool Institute of Performing Arts, where they met and eventually formed the band. Between 2004 – 2005, the band released EPs such as “The Hangover Sessions,” “No.3,” and “The Daring Adventures of Sgt. Wimbo and His Pet Otter.” In 2006, the band released their debut Japan-exclusive album entitled “Girls, Boys & Marsupials.”

Cover art for “A Guide to Love, Loss & Desperation”

In January 2007, the band released “Moving to New York,” then released “Backfire at the Disco” in May of the same year. The band released “Kill the Director” in July of the same year. On November 5, 2007, the band released their true debut album entitled “A Guide to Love, Loss & Desperation.” Around three days later, the band released a single from “A Guide to Love, Loss & Desperation,” entitled “Let’s Dance to Joy Division.” In January 2008, the band re-released “Moving to New York,” reaching #13 on the UK Singles Chart. In February 2008, the band was awarded “Best Dancefloor Filler” at the NME Awards for “Let’s Dance to Joy Division.”

Cover art for “The Wombats EP”

On April 8, 2008, the band had their first release in the US entitled “The Wombats EP.” The EP included some previously released singles, such as “Kill the Director,” “Backfire at the Disco,” and “Moving to New York.” The band went on a tour in Europe and Japan following the release of the aforementioned EP. On the band’s MySpace page, they released a single entitled “Is This Christmas” in December 2008. The band released another single entitled “My Circuitboard City,” which was also posted on the band’s MySpace page in March 2009.

Cover art for “This Modern Glitch”

The band announced that they were working on their third studio album entitled “This Modern Glitch” in September 2010. Later on in that same month, the band released their single entitled “Tokyo (Vampires & Wolves),” due to be on their upcoming album. The band released the second single from “This Modern Glitch,” which was entitled “Jump Into The Fog” in January 2011. In April 2011, the band released “Anti-D,” the final single from “This Modern Glitch.” “This Modern Glitch” was released two weeks later, on April 25, 2011. Three singles were later released after the album: “Techno Fan” (June 2011), “Our Perfect Disease” (August 2011), and “1996” (November 2011).

Cover art for “Glitterbug”

In September 2013, the band announced their single entitled “Your Body Is a Weapon,” due to be released in October 2013. The band was planning on releasing a new album in 2014, but that did not go to plan. In December 2014, the band officially announced their new album entitled “Glitterbug,” due to be released in April 2015. In January 2015, the second single from “Glitterbug” was released, entitled “Greek Tragedy.” The band released another single from “Glitterbug,” entitled “Give Me a Try,” in March 2015. “Glitterbug” was released on April 13, 2015, alongside “Glitterbug B-Sides EP.” Two singles from the album were released afterwards: “Be Your Shadow” (May 2015) and “Emoticons” (September 2015). The band finished off 2015 with a tour around Europe, the United States, and Australia.

Cover art for “Beautiful People Will Ruin Your Life”

The band announced plans of releasing a fourth studio album in Summer 2017, though that did not end up turning out as planned. The band instead went on a mini-tour for the 10 year anniversary of “A Guide to Love, Loss & Desperation.” The band officially announced their fourth studio album entitled “Beautiful People Will Ruin Your Life,” due to be released in February 2018. The lead single from their upcoming album was released in November 2017, entitled “Lemon to a Knife Fight.” In December 2017, the band released the second single entitled “Turn.” In January 2018, the band released the third single entitled “Cheetah Tongue.” The band released the final single from “Beautiful People Will Ruin Your Life,” entitled “Black Flamingo.” The band released “Beautiful People Will Ruin Your Life” four days later, on February 9, 2018. The band’s latest release is “Bee-Sting,” which was released in August 2018.