• October 1Freshman Football at South @ 4:15 PM

• September 29Girls Tennis GWAL at TBA

• September 28Varsity Football at Hays @ 7 PM

• September 27Boy's Varsity Soccer at South @ 7 PM

• September 27Fall Play at 5:30 PM

Festive Pumpkin Carvings

Paola Lopez, Reporter

It’s Fall, the time when the festive decorations come out. Many put inflatables and some may put up some lights, but what is the best outside decor? A pumpkin. It is simple but it is the best decor out there. Down below will be the best and the most creative ways to carve or paint your pumpkin!

Gold Geometric Pumpkin

How to do:

Golden pumpkin

Experiment with different ways to create the geometric look. Just take the three pumpkins and use DecoArt’s new geometric stencils. Then trace the stencil patterns on paper. Then cut out the stencils on paper and mod podged them onto the pumpkins. The next step was to cut the stencils on the pumpkins with the heat tool. Once the patterns were cut into the pumpkins, spray paint the pumpkin gold. And if the gold is a little intense, dry-brush the pumpkins with some white DecoArt craft paint, to tone down the gold a little. For a little more fun you can add LED lights!

Pumpkin Lantern

Type of object to use for perfect holes.

To create the lantern, first we cut off the bottom of the pumpkin. Hollowing from the bottom keeps the top intact and prettier. Then scoop out the “guts” and seeds the old fashioned way  with your hands, occasionally using a large spoon to scrape any stubborn strings from the sides.To created the holes, instead of a drill, use an apple corer. Quick. Easy. Perfect circles with no gloppy mess. Once finished carving holes, stand the candle on the bottom “lid” and place the pumpkin over it. We recommend a nice corner perch so that the circles of light can dance and play over the walls.

Cat Pumpkin

How to do:

1. Choose a pumpkin with a shape that works well for your design!
2. Buy an extra pumpkin for extra parts. Use your imagination and be creative with this! You could make ears, a tongue, hair, batwings, you name it out of that extra pumpkin! You should also grab some toothpicks for attaching said parts.
3. Use a fine-tipped, water-soluble marker in orange or red to draw your design. This way you won’t stain the pumpkin and can wash off your design and start over if necessary.
4. Taper your cuts towards the inside of the pumpkin so they show less pulp. This will help you get a crisp design.
5. Use a narrow knife to clean things up. This and the previous tip really help your design pop!

Vampire Mickey

How to do:

1. There are two ways to transfer your design onto the pumpkin. One is to copy it freehand onto a clean, dry pumpkin with a water-based marker. The other is to tape your template to the pumpkin, then score the design into the skin by poking holes through the template with a nail or plastic poking tool (available in some pumpkin-carving kits).
  2. Carve by starting at the center of your design and working outward (this avoids putting pressure on areas already carved). Begin with the innermost and smallest details. As each shape loosens up, gently push it out of the pumpkin with a finger or a dull pencil point (a good job for young kids). Tip: If you cut something you didn’t intend to, perform a pumpkin surgery: Stick a toothpick through the flesh side of the piece and fit it back into place.
  3. Lastly, put your jack-o’-lantern in a place of honor (away from flammables), and remember to blow out all candles before you go to sleep.

Illuminating Fall Leaf

To create the illuminating Halloween pumpkin, first, you can download a picture of a leaf as a template (or you can draw it by hand). Cut the bottom off a pumpkin, and remove the seeds and pulp. Place the leaf template in your desired spot, pin in place, and then trace the design onto the pumpkin with a pencil. Using a pumpkin-carving tool, cut out the traced leaf design. Cut pieces of yellow vellum, and pin them to the inside of the pumpkin over the leaf openings. Add a battery-operated candle and light up your yard!