• April 24Skills USA Competition 24th-26th

• April 19No School the 19th-22nd

• April 18Hope Show @ 2:20

• April 17Market Day During Lunch

• April 16Jazz-In-The-Round @ 7:00

Educators Rising

Back to Article
Back to Article

Educators Rising

Spencer Bosley, Reporter

You may ask what educators rising is, not many people are familiar with this club. It starts with a class around the united states which teaches high school students the basics of becoming a teacher and why it is important. There are a couple classes you can take about teaching which gives you more information than the group typically would, the beginning class is Teaching as a Career,  and from there you can go into either Teaching Observation or Teaching Internship. While in the beginning class and the other classes you are inducted into a club called Educators Rising. This club includes college and high school students who plan on becoming a teacher or are interested in finding out more information about teaching.

On November 7th the 2018 Educators Rising South Central Regional Conference took place at Southeast High school and included Wichita high schools along with Derby high school. Some activities that took place were multiple competitions, advisor led discussions, student led discussions, and also college visits. Students from South high who presented include Tessa Harper, Madison Thill, and Yadira Arreola-Maciel. A student from south who competed in impromptu speaking and placed first was Josie Trout. Two other students competed in Children’s Literature are Kaylie Wejman and Tegan Sanders. She competed among many other students in the Wichita and Derby school districts, She will be continuing onto State Competition in early 2019. Two other students competed in Children’s Literature are Kaylie Wejman and Tegan Sanders.

A few of the classes and discussions that took place at this conference included, how to help visually impaired students, hearing loss students, misbehavior in the classroom, how dogs can help students, and how important physical activity is, even in the classroom. This conference gave tips on how to be the best teacher you can be. It gives students who want to become an educator a chance to practice speaking in front of larger groups and also gives them a chance to teach others about important subjects.