Sun. Jun 13th, 2021

Artist of the Week: Hobo Johnson & the LoveMakers

Frank Lopes Jr., known professionally as Hobo Johnson, is an American vocalist and frontman of Hobo Johnson and the LoveMakers. Lopes was born on December 22, 1994 which would make him 24 years old. Lopes half Azorean Portuguese and a quarter Mexican and Native American. When Lopes was 19, he was kicked out of his home by his father and lived in his car.

Frank Lopes Jr. aka Hobo Johnson

at age 15, Lopes began performing music and hip-hop. He first came up with the stage named “Homeless Johnson” but soon changed it to “Hobo Johnson” while living in his car, a 1994 Toyota Corolla which ended up being what he named his 2015 debut album. In December 2016, he released a series of live recordings on Youtube subtitled “Live from Oak Park”. In 2017, he released the album “The Rise of Hobo Johnson” on Reprise Records. That same year he won 4 Sacramento Area Music Awards those being: Artist of the Year, Best Hip-Hop/Rap, Best Emcee, and Best New Artist. The song “Peach Scone” collected millions of Iowa in a few weeks, following the attention of the newly released song “Peach Scone” their album “The Rise of Hobo Johnson” charted at number 11 on Billboard Heatseekers Charter the week ending March 31, 2018. In 2018, the band toured North America and Europe and will appear at Australia’s Falls Music & Arts Festival.

Hobo Johnson and the LoveMakers consists of 5 members. Frank Lopes Jr. being the lead vocals, guitar, keyboards and production. Derek Lynch on guitar, Jordan Moore on guitar and keyboards. David Baez-Lopez on bass guitar and Ben Lerch on the drums. Their studio albums include “Hobo Johnsons 94 Corolla” which was released in 2015 and “The Rise of Hobo Johnson” which was released in 2017. Their singles include “Peach Scone”, “Alone Forever”, and “T0LIET” which were all released in 2018.

Derek Lynch, Jordan Moore, Frank Lopes Jr., David Baez- Lopez, Ben Lerch