• January 15Boy and Girl Basketball Starting at 4:15 PM

• January 14AVID Meeting

• January 11Tri-County Basketball @ 1:00

• January 11NHS Meeting during Titan Time

• January 10Boys Swimming Meet @ 4:15 PM

Underrated Bands #4: The Struts

Back to Article
Back to Article

Underrated Bands #4: The Struts

Logo of The Struts

Logo of The Struts

Logo of The Struts

Logo of The Struts

Trevor Schmitt, Reporter

The Struts (left to right): Gethin Davies, Adam Slack, Luke Spiller, and Jed Elliott

The Struts are a rock band originating from Derbyshire, England and formed in 2009. The band currently consists of Luke Spiller as the lead vocalist, Adam Slack on guitar, Jed Elliott on bass guitar, and Gethin Davies on drums. Elliot and Davies were preceded by Jamie Binns and Rafe Thomas, respectively when the band was originally formed. The Struts were greatly influenced by Queen (Spiller’s clothes were even designed by Freddie Mercury’s former designer, Zandra Rhodes), Def Leppard, Aerosmith, and many other older rock bands.

The band started when Spiller met Slack in 2009. Both Spiller and Slack were in their own bands, though their bands were slowly drifting apart. The separations of their bands led to Spiller and Slack connecting and writing/performing songs with Jamie Binns and Rafe Thomas on bass and drums until 2012. In 2012, Binns and Thomas were replaced with Jed Elliott and Gethin Davies, respectively. The band released their first single entitled “I Just Know” shortly after. The band then released their first EP entitled “Kiss This” following a transfer of record labels.

In 2014, the band performed as the opening act for the Rolling Stones in Paris. The band (more specifically: Luke Spiller) received favorable reviews throughout their tour. Spiller was referred to as “the musical love child of Freddie Mercury and Mick Jagger” by music news website “Get To The Front.” Rock artist Mike Oldfield hired Spiller to sing on the 2014 album entitled “Man on the Rocks.”

Original 2014 cover art for “Everybody Wants”

The band’s debut album entitled “Everybody Wants” was released in the UK in July 2014. The band relocated to Los Angeles in early 2015. In August 2015, the band released their EP entitled “Have You Heard” under yet another new record label: Interscope Records. This EP also marked the band’s first U.S. release. The lead single entitled “Could Have Been Me” charted #1 on Spotify’s Viral Top 50 playlist, #4 on the iTunes rock singles chart, and in the Top 5 on the U.S. alternative and active rock charts. A reissue of “Everybody Wants” was released in March 2016 everywhere, including five new songs not in the original UK release. The band opened for Guns N’ Roses for one of their tour dates in August 2016 and debuted a new single entitled “Put Your Hands Up.”

Cover art for “Young & Dangerous”

The band released an EP in March 2017 entitled “Live and Unplugged.” The EP featured five acoustic versions of previously released songs and a cover of “Hotline Bling” by Drake. The band opened for The Who in July 2017, The Rolling Stones in September 2017, and the Foo Fighters in October 2017. The band released a single entitled “One Night Only” in October 2017. The band announced a new album in June 2018 entitled “Young & Dangerous.” The album was then released in October 2018, featuring tracks such as “Body Talks,” “Primadonna Like Me,” “Fire (Part 1),” and “Bulletproof Baby.” The band is currently touring with dates ranging from December 2018 to May 2019.

Trevor Schmitt, Reporter

Hi, I'm Trevor. I am currently 16 years old, a junior, and a new reporter for The Torch. I like to report on music (mainly alternative and/or indie rock)...