Tue. Jun 22nd, 2021

Black History Month

Black History Month aka African American History month started in 1926 it was originally “Negro History Week “. In 1976 it started to be a month long and changed to Black History Month(African American History Month).

Carter G Woodson was the man who created Black History Month. Carter G Woodson was an African American historian, scholar, educator, and publisher. In 1926, he launched Negro History Week as an initiative to bring national attention to the contributions of black people throughout American history.Black History Month is in the Month of February because Frederick Douglass and Abraham Lincoln birthday is in February.

Black History Month starts February 1st through February 28th before black history month was a full month is started the second week of February thats when it was called negro history week, but it wasn’t until 1976 when it became a full month.

Black History Month is celebrated in the United States, Canada, Untied Kingdom, Germany and the Netherlands. February is dedicated as Black History Month, honoring the triumphs and struggles of African Americans throughout U.S. history, including the civil rights movement and their artistic, cultural and political achievements.

Black History Month is the month to remember the important contributions and achievements of African Americans throughout our nation’s history.