Teacher Spotlight : Diana Granados

Back to Article
Back to Article

Teacher Spotlight : Diana Granados

Shelby Greenup, Reporter

Ms. Granados is an excellent teacher here at Wichita South High; she teaches both U.S history and World history. She was born in Southern California. When her family decided to move to Kansas she hated it here. Overtime she learned to love things about Kansas; the students taught her to love the life she has known to love. Looking back, Granados remembers that she grew up in poverty. She didn’t have toys growing up because her parents couldn’t afford them, her parents also never made her believe in Santa Claus to protect her from getting disappointed. While talking about her childhood she comments saying, “Kids often takes so many things for granted but didn’t have a lot growing up.” After moving here, her family was better off financially but were still struggling just to make ends meet.  She was the first person in her whole family to make it to a 4-year college. She began attending WSU in 2014 and graduated in 2016 when she was 21. She had graduated early and with honors. She talks about how every other female in her family was expected to have a husband and children by a certain age and she was the first one to not have that.

In college she originally went in as a nursing major. Nursing never really worked out for her so she chose to teach. Choosing that route for herself was the best decision she says. She started her training here at South High. After her training she couldn’t get the job here so she went to Kansas City, Kansas. In Kansas City she soon realized that that atmosphere was not for her. The area she had worked was very dangerous and the students there would be the only reason she stayed because she loved teaching them, although her goal was to come back to South High. Eventually she made her way back here.

Her college experience was horrible; she it says was horrible because she was a first generation college student and no one in her family was able to give her advice. She was faced with the pressure of having to be the perfect college student. Granados thinks back to her college days and recalls that she didn’t have a lot of support and she faced a lot of racism by her professors and peers. At least once every semester, she thought about dropping out but the determination she had to graduate college was more powerful.

She recalls one day, one of her professors was discriminating hispanics, immigrants and catholics and she was from all three of those backgrounds. She remembers how powerless she felt. Another time, she was giving a presentation on hispanic backgrounds and another student had made the comment that she should watch what she says around here because she’s “…in America now.” The day to day struggles she faced made her who she is today.

Ms.Granados outside of her classroom, January 7th, 2019.

“I see myself in a lot of students here at South and I try to give them advice because even though it’s hard, it’s possible to make it in life,” Granados says at the end of the interview. She adds that she loved the diversity within the students and the staff here. As a teacher, many students agree that Ms. Granados is an amazing teacher, she strives to be the best person she can. Her class is always a safe environment and all of her students know that they have an educator as well as someone they can trust with Ms.Granados.