Sun. Jun 13th, 2021

Artist of the Week: Tyler the Creator

Tyler

Tyler Gregory Okonma or formally known as Tyler the Creator was born March 6, 1991 which makes him 27 years old. Tyler the Creator is an American rapper, record producer, and music video director. He rose to fame as the co-founder and leader of the alternative hip hop collective Odd Future, and has performed on and produced songs for nearly every Odd Future release. Okonma has created all the artwork for the group’s releases and has also designed the group’s clothing and other merchandise.

Tyler The Creator

Okonma released his debut solo mixtape, “Bastard” in 2009. After releasing his debut studio album “Goblin”, under XL Recordings in April 2011. Following his joint venture deal for his and his label Odd Future Records, with RED Distribution and Sony Music Entertainment he released his second studio album, “Wolf”, in 2013. Which ended up being number three on the US Billboard 200, selling 90,000 copies in its first week. His third studio album, “Cherry Bomb”, was released in 2015, debuting at number four on the US Billboard 200. In 2017 he released his fourth studio album, “Flower Boy”, it debuted at number two on the US Billboard 200, becoming his highest charted album to date and was nominated for Best Rap Album at the 60th Annual Grammy Awards.

In 2011, Okonma started the clothing company Golf Wang. In 2012, he began hosting an annual music festival named Camp Flog Gnaw Carnival.  He created his own streaming service app named Golf Media; it ran between 2015 to 2018 and contained original series from Okonma himself and the Camp Flog Gnaw Carnival was annually streamed on the service.

On March 29, 2018, Okonma released “Okra” amongst a string of freestyles and remixes. Okonma referred to it as a “throwaway song”, stating that it wasn’t going to be included in any upcoming album, and was not an indication of the sound of any future projects. On May 22, 2018 he released “435” continuing this string of singles. On July 23, 2018 Okonma and ASAP Rocky announced a collaborative project, “WANG$AP” by releasing a music video for a remix of Monica’s “Knock Knock” named “Potato Salad” on “AWGE DVD (Vol. 3) a video compilation by AWGE , A$AP Rocky’s creative agency. Okonma has identified as an atheist and has had explicitly anti-religious lyrics in his music, especially on the albums “Bastard” and “Goblin” and has also sad some things that suggest he is an agnostic atheist. Okonma also has a love for skateboards, bicycles and waffles.