Wed. Apr 1st, 2020

Cheerleaders: The Mental Health of Athletes

There are many people that deal with mental health on a daily basis; however, did we ever consider what is going on with our athletes and how they deal with their mental health? How do they deal with having a job, going to school, sports, and other activities?

I interviewed some of the Cheerleaders to see how they deal with their mental health on a day to day basis.

My first interview was with Ashleigh Carter.

Interviewer: What sports do you play? What are the benefits you get out of playing the sports?

Ashleigh: I’m in tennis, color-guard, cheer, swimming, and diving. The benefits I get out of the sports are being healthy and meeting new people/friends.

Interviewer: Do you have a job? If so, do you enjoy it?

Ashleigh: I’m kinda in between jobs right now but I don’t dread going to my job. Am I looking forward to it? No, but it’s not bad.

Interviewer: With having a job, going to school, doing homework, and in sports. How do you maintain your mental health?

Ashleigh: I feel like I’m stressed all the time, but to make sure it doesn’t overpower me, I set goals. I also tend to keep myself active, so I don’t think about my problems. Music helps a lot when it comes to my mental health; that’s another way I maintain it.

After I interviewed Ashleigh, I interviewed some more of the cheerleaders. The next cheerleader I interviewed was Grant Murray.

Interviewer: What sports do you play and how do you benefit from them?

Grant: I play football, basketball, do wrestling, weight and lifting, swimming, track, and cheer. What I benefit from them is the great new friendships and relationships I get out of them. I also get scholarships out of them.

Interviewer: Do you have a job, if so do you enjoy it?

Grant:  I indeed do have a job. I work odd jobs and do business.  I do enjoy it.

Interviewer: How do you deal w/ having a job, going to school, sports, and etc..?

Grant: I deal with it by doing my homework in school and staying up to do homework.

The next person I interviewed was Kylee Davis.

Interviewer: What sports do you do?

Kylee: I do cheer and softball.

Interviewer: Do you ever feel like there is too much going on, and if so, how do you deal with it?

Kylee: I do feel like there is too much going on, and I deal with it by eating and watching Tv, but also by sleeping.

The last person I interviewed is Marissa Murray.

Interviewer: What sports do you do and what benefits do you get from them?

Marissa: I play volleyball and basketball. I also do cheer, swimming and wrestling. The benefits I get out of them are being active, team connection, and being a better person.

Interviewer: Do you ever feel overwhelmed, and if so, how do you deal with it?

Marissa: Yes I do. I deal with it by being goal orientated, becoming active, and praying.

Overall, the cheerleaders do multiple sports and still feel stressed, overwhelmed, and like there is too much going on in their lives. They use their own unique ways to deal with all the stress. Athletes go through the same things as any normal human being.

Standing up (left to right): Marissa Murray, Grant Murray, Kylee Davis
Kneeling: Ashleigh Carter