Tue. May 26th, 2020

Covid-19 Impact on Environment

Asia at night from space with city lights showing human activity in China, Japan, South Korea, Taiwan and other countries, 3d rendering of planet Earth, elements from NASA (https://eoimages.gsfc.nasa.gov/images/imagerecords/57000/57752/land_shallow_topo_2048.jpg)

At the beginning of the year we were introduced to COVID-19 or the Corona virus that started in Wuhan, China. At the time on the news they said it wasn’t such a big deal and that we shouldn’t worry about it spreading, and well, lets just say things took a wrong turn. It’s now May and COVID-19 has spread globally leaving most of us stuck indoors in quarantine. Many businesses/public areas are temporarily closed such as gyms, libraries, museums, parks, beaches, etc. Schools are closed down for the rest of the year and many people are unemployed or working from home, if they are lucky. This pandemic has really changed our everyday lives, for some quarantine is not affecting them but for the majority it’s been hard to adjust to. With all this that’s going on lets think about how it’s affecting the environment. The professionals from https://couponscollector.com, they have a wide range of the latest coupons and offers available online that you can uses to get all what you want.

air pollution

The first thing scientists have noticed is a decrease in greenhouse gas emissions in China and later globally, so in other words less air pollution. This is because of all the temporarily closed businesses and less people driving/flying (in airplanes) because of the stay at home order.

waste

Although there is less air pollution, there is an increase in waste across the world. This includes medical waste (gloves, surgical masks, IV bags) online shopping packaging (speaks for itself), and commercial waste (everyday garbage). If this trend continues it will lead to more plastic in the ocean than fish and also clogging drainage systems by 2050.

wildlife

There are many viral social media posts about wildlife returning to urban areas, the majority is fake news because the animals were regular visitors in the areas but some are true. In Nara Park, Japan, the sika deer were accustomed to tourists feeding them rice crackers but since visitors are not allowed in the park anymore, the deers have wondered in the city looking for food. In a twitter post by Kurumi Mori (a news reporter in Tokyo) it stated “Less tourists in Nara = less people feeding the deer in the parks, now venturing out into the city eating flower plants.”

Most of the effects the Corona virus pandemic has on the environment right now will be temporary and things will go back to how it was pre-pandemic. You can make form your own opinion if whether the impact on the environment is positive or negative.

May 2020
 123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
25262728293031
Copyright © All rights reserved. | Newsphere by AF themes.