All relationships take a huge amount of work but, long distance relationships require a higher amount of commitment, patience, and understanding. With the internet, it’s easier than ever to establish relationships, even before seeing the other person in real life. A study that was done in 2007, by Stafford and Merolla, actually found that starting as a long distance relationship can leave your relationship better off than those starting closer together.
There are many struggles when it comes to long distance relationships like increased stress, loneliness, and anxiety but at the end of the day all of the struggles will eventually be worth it!
Some common things that really kill a long distance relationship are comparing your relationship with other peoples relationship, being intimate with another person, letting your relationship get boring, not communicating properly, not understanding ups and downs, not taking responsibility, and not giving enough time to your significant other.
Tips on how to make a long distance relationship last
- Communication makes or breaks many relationships but avoid excessive communication when it comes to long distance relationships. You don’t have to communicate with each other 24/7 to keep a relationship going. Many think that they need to compensate for the distance by doing more but everyone needs some alone time every now and then!
- Do things together like playing a video game, watching a show, go online shopping together, buy each other gifts, etc. Some popular games to play with your significant other are Stardew Valley, Minecraft, Fall Guys, and Mario Kart.
- Stay open and honest with each other. Let your partner help you and give you the support you need. It’s better to work out problems during its initial stage than when its too late.
- Send a care package which could include your hoodie, a ring, your fragrance, etc. You can send a care package with gifts that your significant other loves like their favorite candy, fluffy socks, their favorite candle, etc. You could also send one with your personal favorite things so your significant other can try out things that you love! There are different care packages with different themes perfect for long distance relationship couples like For Him Box or For Her Box
- Last but not least, stay positive. The waiting can be painful but you need to remind yourself that the waiting will be worth it!
Orlando Bloom said “You have to do the groundwork together, create the feeling of trust and safety so that you can spend time apart and do everything that you need to do and still feel tethered to that person, so that you can go on a journey together.”